It’s been a long time since I’ve updated this site so I figured I should give it some attention. First on my list was to switch web hosts; the site was loading incredibly slow on a lifetime account at TextDrive (now Joyent). A while ago I set a friend of mine up at NearlyFreeSpeech.NET and they’ve been great so far, not to mention cheap. So I opened an account and transferred my site without any problems.

Then, when I tried to automatically upgrade WordPress (which I hadn’t done in a long time) I got a load of errors. First, I couldn’t get WordPress to connect to my hosting account. I added the code below to wp-config.php and that problem was fixed (which I found here).

define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');
define('FTP_BASE', '/public/');
define('FTP_CONTENT_DIR', '/public/wp-content/');
define('FTP_PLUGIN_DIR ', '/public/wp-content/plugins/');
define('FTP_USER', 'your-username');
define('FTP_HOST', 'ssh.phx.nearlyfreespeech.net:22');
define('FTP_PASS', 'your-password');

Once I got that out of the way I hit another snag. I was getting a couple temporary file permissions errors. Evidently it’s a side-effect of NFS’s hosting setup (PHP safe_mode, etc). A few web searches later and I had an answer.

  1. SSH into the server
  2. chgrp -R web ./public
  3. find ./public -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;
  4. find ./public -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;

After making those changes it was smooth sailing. And as expected, the site is loading much faster now.